In Recipes on
September 12, 2013

Protein Peanut Butter Cups {Clean Eating}

UPDATE:
I have had a few people comment that they don’t harden very well,
so I have REVISED the recipe to add in 2 TB of melted coconut oil.
*ALSO I now use my silicone baking cups, and they hold the shape much better!

A yummy Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup thats under 100 calories?!
Shut the Front DOOR!

Yes its true Folks! You can have chocolate and gain muscle 😉

As most of you know, I discovered PB2 (Powdered Peanut Butter) a couple weeks ago! I fell in LOVE immediately and have been looking for new things to try with it!
PB2 only has 45 Calories for 2 TB, compared to (typical) Peanut Butter that has 210 Calories for 2TB!!

securedownload

securedownload-1
Mix together the Coco Powder, Greek Yogurt, and Chocolate Protein Powder. Slowly one TB at a time, add water, until the mixture is easy to pour (NOT THICK).

securedownload-3
Next (in a separate bowl) mix together your PB2 & water. You may have to slowly add water so that this mixture is also a liquid consistent.

securedownload-2

banner_cleaneating_ebook

peanutbutter
Then Pour your PB2 mixture in.

securedownload-5

And one more time, Top it off with some more of the Chocolate Mixture. NOTE: You don’t want to fill these up too high since they are mostly “liquid”.

Then pop them in the freezer for 15 minutes. That’s It!!

securedownload-8

NO BAKE Protein Peanut Butter Cups

Ingredients You’ll Need:
-4 Cupcake Liners
-2 TB of PB2
-2 TB of melted coconut oil
-2 TB of water (*may need more)
-3 TB of Plain Greek Yogurt
-1 TB of coco powder (unsweetened)
-1 Scoop of Chocolate Protein Powder
*Optional:
-2 Stevia Packet or a spoonful of Honey *For Taste
**I have had a few comments about these being very bitter, if you need to add MORE honey or stevia till you reach the desired thickness.

Mix together the Coco Powder, Greek Yogurt, melted Coconut Oil, and Chocolate Protein Powder. Slowly one TB at a time, add water, until the mixture is easy to pour (NOT THICK).
First pour your chocolate mixture into the bottom of the cupcake liners, about a quater of the way up. Then Pour your PB2 mixture in.
Now just pop them in the freezer for about 30 minutes to an hour and your all done! I store my leftover ones in the freezer in tupperware containers. They are a great snack when Im having a chocolate craving!
ENJOY

Total Calories: 87 (one peanut butter cup)

*recipe makes 4 peanut butter cups

You can find Jamie’s Chocolate Protein Powder HERE.
image_prodprod1810054_largeImage_X_130_white

banner_cleaneating_ebook

• cleanlivingfordummies

will make these!!!!

September 13, 2013 at 7:50 am Reply
    • aleshahaley

YAY! Please let me know what you think of them!

September 13, 2013 at 9:02 am Reply
  • This Northern Belle

This is perfection. I used to make homemade peanut butter cups all the time, but the fact that these are healthy makes this even better! I’m in.

September 13, 2013 at 3:53 pm Reply
    • aleshahaley

Let me know what you think 🙂

September 13, 2013 at 7:38 pm Reply
  • Week 4 Re-Do & Recipes | Allison In Wellness Land

[…] I also whipped up these Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cups, inspired by Alesha’s recipe. […]

September 15, 2013 at 4:16 pm Reply
  • emily

Do I need to add the chocolate powder?
    Thanks looks amazingggg

December 31, 2013 at 3:28 pm Reply

Hi Emily,
      Yes you will mix together the coco powder, chocolate protein powder and the greek yogurt in the first step 🙂

Thanks so much!

December 31, 2013 at 4:05 pm Reply
  • laura

hi. what could i use instead of muscle milk protein powder? i’ve never used it and don’t see myself buying it just to make these delicious treats. i do weight watchers, can you think of a healthy alternative that has the same consistency?

January 19, 2014 at 7:44 am Reply

You could juse use cocoa powder alone.. it would still be really good 🙂

January 20, 2014 at 11:04 am Reply
  • Esj13

I just made these! I love the concept! But when I made them they had a bitter chocolate taste. Would using the honey make it sweeter?

February 9, 2014 at 7:32 pm Reply

Yes try using honey and see if that makes them sweeter. I have had alot of people say they prefer using honey over stevia for these.

June 24, 2014 at 10:37 am Reply
  • heather

Mine got stuck to the wrapper 🙁

March 14, 2014 at 8:31 pm Reply

O no!! I never had that issue.. but you could try using a different wrapper? Or letting them thaw out for a couple minutes.

March 21, 2014 at 10:39 am Reply
  • Chelsea

Any suggestions to replace to yogurt for dairy free?

March 17, 2014 at 9:41 pm Reply
  • Courtney

Could you use the PB2 with premium chocolate to make these and omit the coco powder or reduce the amount of coco powder?

March 19, 2014 at 2:17 pm Reply

Yes you could totally do that!! I just used the coco powder because that’s what I have on hand 🙂

March 21, 2014 at 10:39 am Reply
  • Randi Weinstein

If you want to do these completely vegan, check out Arbonne’s Chocolate protein powder which is completely gluten free as well and has 20 grams of protein per serving. It also uses organic stevia rather than sugar as its sweetener. Health2happiness.myarbonne.com

April 16, 2014 at 11:37 am Reply
  • Holly

They did not freeze in more than an hour and tasted very bitter. Won’t make them again – although I had high hopes!

June 23, 2014 at 12:44 am Reply

O I am so sorry Holly!! You may have to tweak the ingredients then, I love mine, and make them all the time. But it could depend on the brand of ingredients. You may want to try adding honey instead of stevia I have had people say that tends to make them sweeter.

June 24, 2014 at 10:36 am Reply
  • eryn

Hi alesha, thanks so much for putting this together, im obsessed with reece’s PB choc.. im on my first isagenix 30 day cleanse now… are these allowed as snacks? Also is TB tablespoon? what measurement is this?
    Can I use just PB2, and isagenix choc protein shake powder… then just grab the greek yoghurt?
    thanks heaps for your help

July 14, 2014 at 7:55 pm Reply
  • Andrea Tajak

I made these with vanilla greek and unjury protein powder. Absolutely delicious! ended up at 44 calories each. Will make them again!

July 23, 2014 at 11:57 am Reply

YAY! So glad you liked them!

September 29, 2014 at 8:41 pm Reply
  • Andrea Tajak

Delicious! I did use Greek vanilla yogurt and my Unjury protein mix. Ii counted 44 calories per cup! Delicious, froze well mad oh so yum

July 23, 2014 at 6:16 pm Reply
  • Trisha

How much protien are in these?

July 28, 2014 at 11:09 pm Reply
  • Amanda

Do these need to stay frozen or can they be left out/refrigerated?

August 16, 2014 at 9:02 pm Reply

They can be refrigerated or frozen.

August 18, 2014 at 10:02 am Reply
      • Kim M

I took them out of the freezer and kept them in the refrigerator. They turned into liquid! Back to the freezer. Is that normal for them? I used all the exact ingredient brands that you listed.

October 11, 2014 at 11:07 am Reply

O no! Well I have only ever kept mine in the freezer, so Im not sure about just refrigerating them? I would try just freezing them and they should stay hard.

October 12, 2014 at 7:45 pm Reply

They can be refrigerated, but they will melt if left out 🙂

September 29, 2014 at 8:41 pm Reply
  • Elizabeth Hoffman

I’m making these for the first time tonight! So excited to try them.

August 27, 2014 at 7:55 pm Reply

Great! Please let me know what you think, Ive gotten so many mixed reviews! HA but I love them

September 29, 2014 at 8:40 pm Reply
  • Protein Powder Recipes - Color in Motion 5k Run | Run Blog

[…] Peanut Butter Cups […]

September 18, 2014 at 2:17 pm Reply
  • Ing

I made these tonight! I am on day 4 of the challenge and was definitely craving something! I only had vanilla protein powder so I added an extra tablespoon of the cocoa powder and used a packed of stevia… Easy and Delish! Thank you for all the amazing recipes! I have the pumpkin protein bars cooking now!

September 25, 2014 at 11:47 pm Reply

Thank you so much! So glad you liked them! I am going to be starting Jamies program back up soon, so stay tuned for more posts!

September 29, 2014 at 8:37 pm Reply
  • Alicia Lucas

These are awesome…I didn’t use the stevia or honey and I used a chocolate peanut butter protein powder. Also the cocoa I had was dark chocolate 100% cacao but they turned out yummy. They aren’t the same as a reese cup BUT the fact that they fit into my plan AND satisfies that craving for sweets makes this a keeper for me!

October 9, 2014 at 10:41 pm Reply
  • Jennifer R

Amazing!!! I used some stevia to sweeten up the chocolate and used more cocoa powder instead of protein powder. Love them!!!

October 14, 2014 at 6:41 pm Reply
  • Molly Campbell

Ok I have a dumb question! The meal plan for LiveFit seems so specific – if you make dessert, do you sub it in place of a small meal? I have been sticking to the diet, doing the workouts, and have a baby who’s nursing, and I’m still only losing like 1 pound each week, which feels so frustratingly slow! I want to have a dessert every now and then, but don’t want it to make my weight loss even slower haha.

Also want to say thanks for writing about your experience with LiveFit – I tried it once before after my first son was born, but I only did the workouts and when I got sick halfway through I never picked it back up. After baby #2 I’m way more in need of weight loss and planning to see the whole plan all the way through, and your blog has been very helpful!

October 16, 2014 at 4:32 pm Reply

Thanks so much for your response! I honestly always tracked dessert (only had it once a week) and just counted it as the last meal of my day. I know how challenging it is to lose the baby weight. I am right there with ya! But I am getting ready to start back up again!

October 17, 2014 at 9:01 pm Reply
      • Molly Campbell

Good luck, it can be tough, good thing those babies are cute! 🙂 I feel way awkward saying this, and I swear I’m not one of those crazy people who gives everyone unwanted advice, but I would be careful with the diet if you’re nursing – I started noticing my little guy was hungry ALL the time, waking up twice as often at night to eat, etc – and I realized I wasn’t making very much milk. So I took a weekend off, ate some high calorie food, and started back with fewer carbs but higher calories (basically more nuts and I added cheese back in because I don’t really care about being non-dairy) and it seems to be doing much better, and I still lost weight for that week, so I’m hoping it will work out! Sorry to be super awkward, I just would like to save someone from going through the same thing!

October 22, 2014 at 3:05 pm Reply

Thanks so much for the tip! SO far so good with nursing, my little lady hasn’t had any issues so fingers crossed it stays that way ha! How old is your little one?

October 23, 2014 at 11:40 am Reply
          • Molly Campbell

Almost 4 months, and it’s going by WAY too fast!

October 23, 2014 at 11:56 pm
  • Beks

Made these last night, and while they were super messy to make (you weren’t kidding about not filling them up!), they were, by far, the best protein PB cup I’ve ever made. I made them with casein so that it’ll feed my muscles overnight, which makes them a low-cal, delicious before bed snack. Awesome! I do think that next time I make them, I’ll do them in little paper cups with popsicle sticks.

November 4, 2014 at 12:00 pm Reply

Yay!! So glad to hear it!

November 5, 2014 at 2:23 pm Reply
  • Eating Clean Recipes Arbonne | Cuties Live

[…] Protein Peanut Butter Cups {Clean Eating} « Made with … – This is perfection. I used to make homemade peanut butter cups all the time, but the fact that these are healthy makes this even better! I’m in…. […]

November 9, 2014 at 3:30 am Reply
    • Renee Conaway

Can you tell me how many carbs?

February 17, 2015 at 9:35 pm Reply
  • Patty

I love this idea, but PB2 isn’t really clean since it has sugar, no?

January 30, 2015 at 11:47 am Reply
  • Becky

Could I use defaced peanut flour in place of the PB2? These look amazing

January 31, 2015 at 2:54 pm Reply
  • Kelly

Has anyone figured out how many carbs are in each cup? (DH is on Atkins)

February 11, 2015 at 6:48 pm Reply
  • Alicia

Do you know the macros per Peanut Butter Cup?

February 12, 2015 at 10:33 am Reply
  • Kyle

i just made these. They were so delicious, they tasted like they should’ve had 250 calories not 50 calories. Will definitely be making these again

March 8, 2015 at 6:04 pm Reply

YAY! So glad you liked them!

March 9, 2015 at 4:18 pm Reply
  • Karla

for some reason i cant see the ingredients 🙁

March 10, 2015 at 12:22 pm Reply
  • Patrece

Can another protein powder be used? I use Garden of Life.

March 18, 2015 at 4:16 pm Reply

Absolutely! You can use any protein powder!

March 23, 2015 at 12:13 pm Reply
  • Weekend Healthy Recipes Roundup April 4th

[…] Skinny Peanut Butter Cups from Made with Love – these use PB2 dried peanut butter. If you haven’t tried this peanut butter, it is really delicious, and wasn’t expensive. […]

April 5, 2015 at 5:01 pm Reply
  • Julie

Thanks for this great recipe! I made these today using Jay Robb chocolate egg white protein powder and instead of stevia I used 1 tsp of honey. They were delicious! They taste like a peanut buttery fudgecicle. Next time I make them (maybe tomorrow, they’re so good!) I think I’ll do what another commenter said and put them in a small cup with a popcicle stick. I don’t think it is necessary to layer the ingredients…they are delicious with all the ingredients mixed together. I made it both ways and both were really tasty. Thanks again!

April 18, 2015 at 1:29 am Reply
  • Rachel

I just made these tonight for the first time. I have to admit I was a little skeptical, but wow am I glad I tried this recipe. Soooo delicious!

April 21, 2015 at 9:47 pm Reply
  • Isly

Is there anything else that can be used instead of greek yogurt ? Im lactose intolerant.

June 3, 2015 at 9:01 pm Reply
  • Aja Calhoun

Made these today. Found that I needed way more than 1tbsp of water to get the runny consistency. Poured the ingredients in the cupcake liners. All looked great until they started to freeze. Then they seem to spread. Not a huge deal though. Tasted pretty good…definitely hit the sweet spot!
    Thank you for sharing this recipe.

June 19, 2015 at 1:22 pm Reply

Gotchya! Since this post I actually bought some silicone baking liners. They help alot! And the peanut butter cups stay in!

June 22, 2015 at 2:32 pm Reply
  • Melissa

I followed this recipe to a T, and they didn’t turn out. They’ve been in the fridge for an hour, and they show no signs of turning solid. They taste great though! But I’m disappointed.

June 23, 2015 at 3:57 pm Reply

Im so sorry Melissa,
      Did you put them in the freezer? They have to be in the freezer to harden. I have also remade this recipe a couple times and started adding coconut oil, that helps them harden too! I will tweak my post 🙂

June 23, 2015 at 4:38 pm Reply
  • Shakeology Peanut Butter Cups – Made with Love

[…] can find my original recipe HERE. Now that I am doing the 21 day fix program, Im loving Shakeology!! You can check out my Youtube […]

June 25, 2015 at 7:01 am Reply
  • Roxanne

Hi there, I have no yougurt on hand but do have cottage cheese, think that would work?

June 30, 2015 at 2:58 pm Reply

You could try it!

July 2, 2015 at 10:02 am Reply
  • shannon

I guess if they don’t freeze you can use it for a dip for apples 🙂

July 8, 2015 at 7:30 pm Reply
  • Nancy

Ugh this recipe looks so amazing I want to try it right now, and I even have all of the ingredients in my kitchen! However, I am allergic to coconut. Could I just remove the coconut oil from the recipe, or do I need to replace it with something else?

August 5, 2015 at 9:22 pm Reply

HAHA So you would need some type of oil to help the chocolate freeze better, you could try grape seed oil or avocado oil 🙂

August 7, 2015 at 9:40 am Reply
      • Nancy

Thank you so much for the advice! Really! I am constantly finding mouth-watering recipes that I don’t think I can make because of one ingredient. I never thought to use a different oil (and there are never mentions for alternatives, like with gluten or lactose). I’ve been trying for years to eat healthy and my food allergies always discourage me from sticking with it. It’s hard when nuts and coconut (thank god I can eat PB because I LOVE it) are such a huge part of most healthy diets.
        Now, my understanding of coconut oil is that it is not a liquid until it is melted (like butter… Ooh, can I even use butter?!)… So, would I need to adjust the amount of oil I use, or should I use the substitute I choose at a 1:1 ratio?

August 8, 2015 at 4:05 pm Reply
  • EB

Can you use Cacao powder instead of Hershey’s cocoa?

September 1, 2015 at 11:40 pm Reply

yes!! That would work!

September 2, 2015 at 8:49 am Reply
  • April

How many carbs in one? And protein?

November 27, 2015 at 7:16 pm Reply
  • Protein peanut butter cups « The Fight To Fit

[…] Protein Peanut Butter Cups Ingredients  4 tin foil cupcake cups  1 scoop Unjury chocolate protein powder (or your preferred brand)  1 tablespoon coco powder  2 tablespoons plain Fage 0% greek yogurt 3 tablespoons of PB2  1 packet Truvia or Honey  water  Directions In one small bowl mix the greek yogurt, protein powder, coco powder, and truvia/honey. Slowly add in a little bit of water at a time while mixing until the chocolate mixture is liquid enough to pour. Set aside.  In a second bowl add the PB2 and again just enough water for the peanut butter mixture to be easy to pour.  Then prepare your cupcake tins by placing them in a Tupperware container. This container should be the size where the cupcake tins are all touching and can support each other, but are not crushed in. Then pour about 1/2 the chocolate mixture evenly into the cups, followed by the entire peanut butter mixture. Top with the remaining chocolate and put in the freezer for at least an hour. Enjoy!  Nutrition facts for one peanut butter cup (using Truvia not honey)  50 calories, 5 carbs, 1 gram fat, 8 grams protein, 2 grams sugar P.S. It’s ok to eat more than one!  Recipe very slightly modified from   http://aleshahaley.com/2013/09/12/protein-peanut-butter-cups-clean-eating/  […]

February 26, 2016 at 11:35 am Reply
  • Laylani

Hi there how do these translate into 21 day fix containers?

October 26, 2016 at 8:44 pm Reply

I would do one cup as one yellow 🙂

November 8, 2016 at 1:14 pm Reply