In Fitness, Mom Life on
February 23, 2014

And then there were three…

IMG_1657

Well hello there Blog World, its been a while! In case you haven’t noticed I haven’t been blowing up your facebook or instagram feed lately it’s because things have been just a wee bit busy over here 🙂 I am soooo excitied to announce that I am PREGNANT!! Due date is August 11th 2014.

I have had SUPER intense morning sickness, and we just moved houses and working full time I have basically been in bed by 8:30 every night ha! But I am finally past the first trimester and starting to feel more human again. I promise more blog posts will be coming soon!  This post is very personal but I hope that our struggles and journey can help give hope to others! It is possible to get pregnant even admist many  challenges!  I am literally crying as I type this, all the emotions of the past couple years really hit me. So grab some popcorn and maybe some tissues and I’ll share our story 🙂

edited_announcement

I thought I would open up a bit about our journey to get pregnant, it’s amazing how God’s timing is always perfect and looking back I can see how he has had his hand on our lives and this babies’ timing the whole time!  Let’s see where do I even begin. Well David and I decided to start “trying” for a baby a little over 3 years ago. At first we thought let’s just see what happens, and then about 6 months into (with my very irregular cycles) I knew something wasn’t right. So after literally a year of bloodwork, xrays, scans, you name it, my doctor diagnosed me with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). There are different stages of PCOS mine is basically a hormonal imbalance, I don’t make enough progesterone therefore I have irregular periods (could go three months with nothing) which in return means I do not ovulate on my own. I will say for anyone struggling with infertility it is SUCH an emotional journey! It was bittersweet to hear a “diagnosis”. Part of me was glad it wasn’t more severe and we were on the right track to fix it and part of me was so angry that we even had to struggle with this. I would see friends and family get pregnant what felt like instantly and here we were a happy married couple who had our ducks in a row and yet we struggled with having a baby.

So after about another year of trying progesterone lotions & pills to try and regulate my cycles, still nothing. The next step we decided was fertility treatment. We saw an amazing dr at the FIRM. We proceeded to go through fertility hormone shots for about 6 months. This was also another roller coaster of emotions. Although we were purseuing pregnancy full force and had a great team of dr’s it still felt so overwhelming. And having to go to the dr’s every two weeks and then having a strict time schedule it made the whole process very stressful. And after 6 months of no luck we decided it was best to take a break. I remember feeling so disappointed. I was just so confused as to why we couldn’t get pregnant?! I was finally ovulating with the fertility treatment and yet nothing. There were nights when I would just cry myself to sleep and question God’s plan. This was a very stressful time for me personally. And looking back now I realize what a big stressball I was, and had we gotten pregnant then YES it would have been amazing but I also believe that I was not in a mental state to balance more than one thing. Even though I couldn’t see it at the time God was preparing David and I both to become parents, every struggle and every appointment was all part of his plan and has made this reward so much more amazing!

image_shoe

So fast forward to about 2.5 years of struggling to get pregnant we took a break from the fertility treatment and started looking into adoption. We were not actively pursueing it, but casually looking. I realized that I was beyond stressed out and I needed to take a mental break from trying to get pregnant. For anyone who has struggled with fertility issues, you know how taxing it can be. It is mentally draining, the constant questions and doubt really overwhelmed me. I kept alot of this to myself and didn’t talk about it, which I now realize probably led to the stress. I didn’t want people to feel sorry for me but I know now that talking about our journey can help so many! PCOS does not have to be a stopping point for getting pregnant, it makes it more challenging but not impossible!

In August of 2013 after years of realizing I had let myself go and really put all my energy on getting pregnant that I was unhappy, overweight and NEEDED to make a change! Now let me just say this was not the first time I had tried to lose weight, as I have talked about before, in the past I had tried weightwatchers, “the salads only” diet, a juice fast. And I would do great for about three weeks then I would just get overwhelmed and hungry and never stuck to anything. I considered myself a pretty healthy person, I was running half marathons BUT what I didn’t realize was all the junk that was in the processed food I was eating. And for those of you who have done research on PCOS, what you EAT is VERY important! A minor detail I chose to look over ha! So a friend of mine told me about Jamie Eason’s 12 week Live Fit Program! All about clean eating and lifting weights! You can read more about my 30 pound weight loss and weekly journey HERE.

Jamie Eason Live Fit

Not only did I lose 30 pounds in just a couple months, but I regained a whole new confidence! I realized I was stronger than I gave myself credit and when I put my mind to something I could accomplish anything! I made myself a priority again and it felt great! I can honestly say in those months I thought about having a baby but it was not every day. At the beginning of Jamie’s program I “gave” not only my health & fitness to God but also the fertility issues. What does it mean to give it to God? Well honestly I thought I knew and I thought I had done it in the past, with other things. But I realized I would say Okay God I am giving you this problem and believing you are going to fix it in your timing and yet I would still hold onto it, stress about it and let it consume me! After the fertility treatments I “thought” I gave it to God but really I just continued to let it overwhelm me and I couldn’t let it go. I tried to figure it out on my own.

Not in your own strength for it is God Who is all the while effectually at work in you, energizing and creating in you the power and desire, both to will and to work for His good pleasure and satisfaction and  delight. – Phillipians 2:13

I remember going to a wednesday night church service in September, I had already lost about 10 pounds and was  feeling really great. One of our Pastors spoke on the book of Revelations,when Heaven is Silent. And I remember feeling like Heaven was silent in reference to us getting pregnant. That we had prayed and prayed, did God not hear us? And then our pastor talked about Genesis when God was forming Adam, and even in the clay that he was preparing him and molding him. That even when Heaven is Silent God is still forming us to his perfect plan! It hit me even admist the struggle I could finally see that God was preparing my mind and body to get ready for a baby! I didn’t know when but for this first time in YEARS I knew that I needed to continue to put myself and my body first & trust him! So I continued to eat clean and lift weights and fell in love with Jamie’s program!

securedownload
Little did I know that just two weeks after completing Jamie’s program, I got pregnant!! The first two months I actually had regular cycles, and I thought wow maybe this clean eating is regulating my hormones naturally, and maybe I could get pregnant on my own?! But I did not stress and then when I missed my period in November I was a little bummed and thought O man, I guess it didn’t help my cycles, BUT I still had faith that it might take a while and if I couldn’t get pregnant than Gosh Dangit I would have toned arms and a flat stomach! HAHA Fast forward to December and I started feeling extremely nauseas! David kept asking me if I was pregnant (I had missed another period) but this was so normal for me I assured him it was impossible and that was not the case! I refused to take a test. And finally the day after Christmas, after feeling nauseas for three weeks straight (not to mention just the smell of coffee made me want to throw up!) Which should have been a red flag, but nope I just kept thinking I had the flu or something. I took a pregnancy test, now let me just say I have taken A TON of tests, biting my nails at those NEVERENDING two minutes and test after test I was devestated, so this time I just put it on the counter and went in the other room, not thinking twice. I came back a couple minutes later and was SHOCKED!!! A bright plus sign!

securedownload-2

I had dreamed of that moment for YEARS! I always thought I would tell David in a grand romantic gesture and yet feeling like complete poo, in my glasses and hotmess pajamas I walked in the living room “David, I think I’m Pregnant?!” In all its unplanned nongrand gesture it was AMAZING! We held eachother for what felt like an hour. Both overwhelmed with emotion! I was still very hesitant and wanted to get another test just to make sure, so 4 tests later and getting bloodwork from the Doctors office, Yep sure enough I was pregnant! I was about 8 weeks! We couldn’t believe it! And just two weeks later we had our first appointment and got to see our little babe and hear the heartbeat! I will never forget that moment, suddenly all the struggles and disappoitments were worth it to finally get to see this amazing little person that God has blessed us with! We already love Baby Haley soooo much, I can’t wait till we can finally meet!

Picture 1

Here I am 15 weeks prego! I’ll be 16 weeks on Monday February 24th. Finally in the second trimester I am able to keep food down and the nausea has subsided. Not going to lie, the first couple of months were miserable! I lost 8 pounds and was throwing up 4-5 times a day! I got a prescription from my Doctor and it helped a little but it was still super exhausting. Needless to say I had to take a break from my workout schedule and was only able to keep down Peanut Butter & jellies ha! I still have a very hard time keeping down veggies, So I am going to try and add them back slowly, hoping they stay. It was has been so hard going from being so disciplined with my food and gym time, to just feeling absolutely exhausted and nothing sounds appetizing. But I really think this second trimester I will be able to get back in my routine & have a healthy & fit pregnancy!

I am so grateful now that I found Jamie’s program when I did. Looking back I know that without a doubt it was what I needed for me, to get my mind and body ready! I have established healthy habits and this pregnancy will be so much healthier & I will set a good example to our little one! It’s so crazy to think I am 15 weeks pregnant and weigh 30 pounds less than what I weighed just 6 months ago! Although this journey has not been easy I hope that my story can help others to not lose faith and to put yourself first even when it feels impossible!

• Lara Smith

Such an amazing miracle! So incredibly happy for you guys!

February 23, 2014 at 1:42 pm Reply
  • Shelly

Just awesome! God’s plan is the best…we just have to get comfortable in that uncomfortable waiting time. So happy for you both…big hugs!

February 23, 2014 at 2:59 pm Reply
  • Danielle

I just sat here w tears streaming down my face!! What an inspiration??!! And sooo faithful to your plan and to God. Soooo happy for you and can’t wait for more posts on your healthy pregnancy journey!!

February 23, 2014 at 3:42 pm Reply
  • Laine

I have just started following your blog and reading your journey. 2days after following your blog, I found your Facebook and the first post I saw was your pregnancy announcement! It was truly a sign! I have PCOS and our stories are very similar. I’m 25 and really struggling with not getting pregnant and having a hard time accepting it. I’m hoping that following Jamie Eason’s plan will regulate my hormones. Eating clean is going to be very hard for me! I really don’t know how to do it.
    So happy for you!!!!

February 23, 2014 at 3:54 pm Reply

I know how hard PCOS can be! I know every single emotion of anger, bitterness, resentment, frustration. It can consume you, and it did for a long time. BUT I know how much clean eating impacted my PCOS and its proof that what you eat can help regulate PCOS naturally. Don’t give up, I know it is hard but for me after a couple weeks it became a habit and after the three months it has become a lifestyle! It has made all the difference and I know it is how I got pregnant!

February 23, 2014 at 4:12 pm Reply
      • Laine

Did you doctor ever put you on a paleo diet? That’s what mine wants me on. He just put me on metformin because of the insulin resistance.

March 23, 2014 at 4:46 pm Reply

No we never tried that. My dr just went straight to the progesterone creams / pills. Hope the paleo works for you!

March 24, 2014 at 10:38 am Reply
  • Whitney Lester

I’m just sitting in awe right now…we have pretty much the same exact story!! I’m 29 years old, 5’2 173lbs with a deep desire to get healthy and fit again. My husband and I have been trying for almost 5 years to conceive…we’ve learned that God knows way more than we do and his timing is ALWAYS perfect!!! I am wanting to start the LivieFit and get myself in great shape. Love your story, so inspiring.. You little mama you!! 😉

February 23, 2014 at 5:00 pm Reply

Aw thank you for sharing Whitney!! I know how hard it is struggling with getting pregnant and how exhausting it can be. And 5 years would be so hard! 3 was definately challenging for us.. BUT don’t give up! I know that I had to put myself first again for me and I am so glad I did.. And getting shape has allowed me to have a healthier pregnancy so far! I have a facebook group of about 700 women who are also doing LiveFIt!! If you need some motivation and tips!

February 24, 2014 at 11:55 am Reply
  • Amelia

So glad you’re feeling better and so happy for you and your husband, it’s really amazing to see what eating healthy can do you so many different problems people can suffer with. I’m excited for more blogging and recipes from you!

February 23, 2014 at 7:23 pm Reply

Thank you so much Amelia!! I never imagined that eating clean would help us get pregnant, I thought the two were totally unrelated!! But I am so thankful now that I decided to give Jamie’s program a try and I am blown away by the lessons I have learned AND the bonus of getting pregnant 🙂 I have some tasty recipes coming very soon!!

February 24, 2014 at 11:03 am Reply
  • Meghann

Congratulations! I’ve been following your blog for a while now and just wanted to say as a fellow PCOS sufferer I am so happy for you! I hadn’t had a period in 3 years when we got pregnant with our first baby. I was at my highest weight ever and just plain miserable. I did 4 rounds of Clomid and even though my lab results showed I hadn’t ovulated during any of those months, let alone the 4th, we still by God’s blessing got pregnant that 4th month. After that first pregnancy many of my PCOS symptoms subsided, which I’ve now heard from other ladies with PCOS that this happened to them also. We are able to conceive baby number 2 and 3 without any problem at all and I was able to lose about 40 pounds. Now healthy eating and excercise have kept my symptoms pretty much at bay. Good luck and healthy pregnancy to you!

February 24, 2014 at 6:55 am Reply

WOW that is so awesome to hear Meghann!! I have also heard that other women with PCOS were able to get pregnant after their first. I am so happy for you & your story too!! What an amazing blessing! And three little ones!!

February 24, 2014 at 11:56 am Reply
  • Brooke

Congratulations! What exciting news 🙂 God works in the most mysterious ways. I am sorry for what you went through these last few years. I can’t even imagine. Baby Haley will be so blessed and so spoiled though! PS-I am the crazy girl who approached you at Celebration at the Christmas Grinch service. Xoxo-Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. I have a 10 month old now, and I wish I would’ve gotten a few more selfish things out of my system!

February 24, 2014 at 11:04 am Reply

Hey there! I remember you 🙂 Thank you so much for saying hi!! So nice to meet you! Thank you we are so excited and yes God has a plan that we don’t always see but I am so thankful for all the lessons we have learned throughout the whole process.

February 24, 2014 at 11:58 am Reply
  • Lena B.

Alesha – first of all congrats! I know we don’t know eacj other, but either way I am so happy for you =) secondly, you have been a true inspiration to me… I happen to come across your journey either through instragram or pinterest, and I’m so glad I did. I started the JELF 3/4 weeks ago because I was so encoraged by your story and I also (prior to knowing your pregnancy story) was frustrated with trying to conceive and nothing happening. Although I do not have PCOS, I did experience a miscarriage last year and my progesterone levels have been borderline. We’ve been praying and have been patient waiting on Him as well to do his will regarding this. But then I realized, just as you did that I had to get a hold of myself, healthwise, because I let myself go after the miscarriage and I had to truly beleive God is God and knows infinitely better than I do on timing. So I decided to trust and to do my part with starting the JELF program. And now that I hear more about your pregancy it has encouraged me even more so to press on, in the hopes of his blessing upon us for a baby as well, if that is His will for our lives. Thank you for being honest and for sharing – I know that your story as well as the other stories that will manifest from those who follow you, will be a domino effect of God’s faithfulness, love, grace and hope, as well as a motivator of the reality of us taking hold and doing our part with our bodies/health. Congrats again and keep myself and those waiting on a the miracle of a baby in prayer. I look forward to reading more about your new journey to come. Be blessed and thank you again!

P. S. You’ve also encouraged me to start bloggin again – it’s been a while and I think that sharing our stories just as you’ve done, has an incredible impact on others perhaps going through the same thing.

=) Lena B.

February 24, 2014 at 12:07 pm Reply
  • mytaste.com

Hi aleshahaley,

We have just sent you a message through email regarding our project.
    We MyTaste.com one of the biggest recipe search engine in United States and in the world, would like to invite your blog to be featured on our site and make your recipes available to many people.

If you like it, you can join through this link http://www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog.

This is one way to share your recipes to the world and it can also help you to increase your blog traffic.
    Full information has been sent to your email.

Have a good day!

Kind regards,

March 1, 2014 at 11:55 am Reply
  • Gender Reveal Party « Made with Love Made with Love

[…] After three years of trying to get pregnant and the emotional roller coaster it has been, we both are just in awe of God’s amazing timing! To read more about out pregnancy journey CLICK HERE. […]

April 14, 2014 at 8:28 am Reply
  • Tiffany

Alesha! I know I am SUPER late on this but I just found your blog yesterday during my lunch hour at work and WOW I am so excited about this! I also have PCOS and what a hassle it can be! So thankful that you remained faithful to our Father for is plan is perfect and love is unfailing! I can not wait to read more and more about you, your health, marriage, baby and all! Blessings to you and your little one! Thank you so much for sharing this with “us” as you never know who else maybe struggling with a similar situation!

May 8, 2014 at 12:20 pm Reply
  • Maternity Style :: Dressing the Baby Bump « Made with Love Made with Love

[…] blessing that I am so thankful for, especially given our fertility struggles over the past 3 years {READ more about that HERE}. I absolutely LOVE feeling Annabelle kick and […]

May 12, 2014 at 8:28 am Reply
  • Taylor

Did you change your eating style while pregnant? We just found out we our 10 weeks pregnant.
    Curious to know, what you ate and etc?

October 9, 2014 at 3:22 pm Reply

Congrats Taylor!! I did, well I should say I stayed consistent with eating clean about 80% of the time. I made ALOT of the same Jamie Eason recipes that I was used to and I was able to maintain a healthy pregnancy! I didn’t meal prep as much mainly because I had horrible morning sickness the first trimester but I still would try and eat healthy.

October 12, 2014 at 7:46 pm Reply
  • Maternity Pictures - Made with Love

[…] You can read more about our pregnancy journey here {CLICK HERE}. […]

December 8, 2014 at 8:34 pm Reply
  • Top 5 TIPS to know before starting Jamie Eason's program

[…] can read more about that HERE. I started the program AGAIN last January BUT after finding out I was pregnant {after trying for 3.5 years!!} I had HORRIBLE morning sickness! So I never finished my full second […]

January 7, 2015 at 3:54 pm Reply
  • Annabelle {5 months} – Made with Love

[…]  Happy 5 months to my Sweet Baby Annabelle I can’t believe she is already 5 months old! Time needs to stop going so fast! You can read more about our Pregnancy Journey & our fertility struggles HERE. […]

January 30, 2015 at 8:00 am Reply
  • Megan

I’m so glad I randomly stumbled on your blog from Pinterest! My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about a year — I also have PCOS. I finally decided about a month ago to go completely clean with my eating. I’ve seen great results but am getting a little burnt out and have contemplated going less strict. Your story has convinced me to press on! I can do this 🙂

April 26, 2015 at 5:22 pm Reply

Oh my goodness thanks for sharing!! YES you can totally do it! Clean eating absolutely changed my life and I believe it was key in getting pregnant! Its amazing what your body can do when it eats real food! Please keep me updated on your fertility journey! Feel free to shoot me an email anytime!
      alesha_haley@yahoo.com

April 27, 2015 at 10:26 am Reply
  • Flamingo Fiesta {First Birthday} + FREE Printable – Alesha Haley

[…] go all out to celebrate our little miracle baby! You can read more about our pregnancy journey, HERE. So for me, this was more than a birthday party, it was a celebration with family and friends of […]

July 11, 2016 at 7:53 pm Reply